Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Walk Number One

On Sunday G and I did a two hour hike from St Albans to nearby Sandridge and back; we believe we walked about 7 miles. This was my first proper attempt at seeing how much walking I can manage before the real training starts, and it turns out its not that much! The two hour walk was (mostly) really enjoyable, even though it was raining for most of it, as it was great to be out in the countryside and I only started to feel the pain towards the end (at which point G looked at me and said: "You're looking quite weary!" I should point out that G can run marathons!), but since then I've been in agony!!! - Mind you, thinking about it, some of the agony might have something to do with some suspect dancing on New Year's eve with a guy (who shall remain nameless so as to protect his career), who thinks dancing to cheesy music involves pretending to lasso other dancers!

Anyway, the hilarious part of the walk came right at the end of the hike when we encountered a 2ft deep flood under a bridge which was completely impassable - even in a car, people had tried and had had to call a tow truck! So because we were right at the end of the walk and couldn't turn back, we had to roll up our trousers and wade through it. This was all very funny - one man asked to take a picture of us - until we got to the other side and discovered that the water had turned out toes to ice. G, or Super-G as I think I should call her, just hopped about until her feet warmed up and after making me do the same (extremely reluctantly I might add), we were off again, problem solved. Mind you, her useful tips can go a bit far, as she also tried to introduce me to what sporty-type-people do when their activities make their noses run and they don't have a tissue! Honestly, it makes me wince just thinking about it!

So, I'm off to attach another hot water bottle to an aching limb and begin some fundraising planning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home